Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Sometimes you just need a quick easy dinner that can be thrown together FAST! This is one of those recipes.

On Sunday we made a quick trip to Costco to pick up some new hangers for a closet re-do. (More on that later) and in the process picked up a couple of rotisserie chickens.
I have often seen different cooks touting the quick and easy factor of the deli roasted chicken at the local supermarket, I have to agree! We were able to get 3 different meals out of the 2 chickens we purchased for only $5 each!

Now it does involve some prep ahead work, but the time saved down the road  was a hit in my book. When we got home and unloaded/put everything away, I got down to business and tore all the meat off the chickens, discarding the skin and bones, and then put the approximately 8 cups of cooked shredded chicken  the fridge for later in the week.  

Sunday we had shredded chicken burritos, Tuesday we had a Thai Coconut Chicken with rice (I'm planing on posting that recipe too later on-still needs tweaking) The pièce de résistance was Wednesday's Chicken Tortilla Soup.The ENTIRE dinner came together in less than 30 minutes!

What do you need:
  • 1-16 oz jar of Medium Salsa ( I used La Victoria Salsa Cilantro Medium )
  •  6 cups/48 oz chicken broth/stock ( I used 1 -32 oz Box Kirkland Chicken stock and 2 cups water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes. I needed more broth and didn't want to open 2 cartons. You could also use a 15 oz can.)
  • 1-15oz can black beans drained and rinsed.
  • 1-15 oz can corn drained.
  • 3-4 cups shredded cooked chicken (approximately 1 rotisserie chicken)
  • red pepper flakes OR dried green chiles (a small palm full depending on how spicy you want it)
  • Shredded cheddar & chopped cilantro for garnish
  • Toasted tortillas or  tortilla chips to serve on the side
red pepper flakes

dried green chiles
I do realize that there are a lot of other recipes out there and they are probably yummy too but they involve more steps/ingredients. The key here is this is FAST and delicious, homemade without the all day cooking.

What to do:
  1. Place a large pot on the stove on high heat, dump in salsa, and chicken stock then stir to combine. Heat until boiling  then turn down to simmer. If you use bouillon, add the water and the cubes, they'll dissolve as the liquids heat.
  2. Add the red pepper flakes OR dried green chiles. ( I had dried green chiles in my pantry that my parents brought back from New Mexico, red pepper flakes are an easy substitute)
  3. While soup heats; open beans, drain, and rinse then dump in the pot. next drain the corn and add it as well.
  4. Once everything is simmering, add the chicken and continue to simmer as you prep the tortillas.
  5. Ladle the soup into bowls to  top with a sprinkle of grated cheddar, chopped cilantro, and even some diced avocado ( if you have one on hand-I didn't.)
I happened to have a lot of tortillas so I decided to serve the soup with some warmed & toasted on the griddle. I did this while the soup simmered. I also dished up the kids soup first and then toasted the tortillas for my husband and I while the kids servings cooled at the table.
Heat dry griddle to medium & toss on tortillas.


Once they bubble up flip them over & toast the other side
Fold into  a wedge and then serve alongside the soup, they are super yummy and tasted great. 
If you want to go more traditional, you could crumble up a few tortilla chips and sprinkle on top of the soup instead.

I served this with a very simple green salad and the whole family really liked it.
 It made enough for our family of 5 with a good amount  for leftovers later.

Adapted from Sam The Cooking Guy. He happens to be one of my favorites for quick easy and delicious recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment